Prepare ye for the timeless tale of friendship, loyalty and love based on the Gospel According to St. Matthew.
Prepare ye for the QPHS spring musical production of GODSPELL, set for Friday, April 28 and Saturday, April 29 at 8 PM and the Sunday matinee on April 30 at 2 PM.
GODSPELL was the first major musical theatre offering from three-time Grammy and Academy Award winner, Stephen Schwartz (Wicked, Pippin, Children of Eden), and it took the world by storm. Led by the international hit, “Day by Day,” features a parade of beloved songs, including “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord,” “Learn Your Lessons Well,” “All for the Best,” “All Good Gifts,” “Turn Back, O Man” and “By My Side.”
A small group of people help Jesus Christ tell different parables by using a wide variety of games, storytelling techniques and hefty doses of comic timing. An eclectic blend of songs, ranging in style from pop to vaudeville, is employed as the story of Jesus’ life dances across the stage.
Dissolving hauntingly into the Last Supper and the Crucifixion, Jesus’ messages of kindness, tolerance and love come vibrantly to life.
Boasting a score with chart topping songs, a book by a visionary playwright (John-Michael Tebelak) and a feature film, GODSPELL is a sensation that continues to touch audiences.
Our very own Gus Ibranyi, class of 1996, has come back to QPHS to direct the musical with the very talented producer, Ryann Tierney Harris, class of 1999, musical director Chris Curcio and choreographer, Andrea Kron. This talented group is leading our QPHS and QPGS cast to show off their good sense of physical comedy, comedic ability, and improvisational skills. Our QPHS musical production of GODSPELL promises to be a great time and perfect way to close out April. Buy your tickets now!
If you want to learn more or have questions about the production, please contact director Gus Ibranyi at (201) 563-0362 or via email at email@example.com.
If you want to purchase a Playbill Advertisement, or Raffle Tickets or Show Tickets, please contact Toni Rutigliano at 201-998-8227 x239 or via email at trutigliano@QPHS.org.
GODSPELL Character Breakdown:
- Jesus – Charismatic, high energy, yet gentle and loving. He is the deceptively calm leader of the troupe and the store of person others instinctively follow. He is eventually betrayed by Judas and persecuted.
- Judas/John the Baptist – He has attributes of of both Biblical figures: he is both Jesus’ lieutenant and most ardent disciple and the doubter who begins to question and rebel. Like Jesus, he is also charismatic, but in a more overt revolutionary way. He is the most “serious” and intellectual of the group.
- Nick – Very high energy. Impish and playful.
- Telly – Not the brightest in the bunch, he is a little slow on the uptake. But there is a great sweetness and innocence about him.
- George – The comedian, the class clown. The guy who can do a hundred voices and imitations.
- Anna Maria – A bit of a tomboy, but basically open and sweet. She is the first of the group to commit to following Jesus.
- Lindsay – The confident one, the show-off. The first one to volunteer, sometimes she jumps in before really understanding what is going on.
- Uzo – The shy one. Sometimes a little slow to get things, but when she does, she commits all the way. Has an “earth mother” kind of warmth to her.
- Morgan – Sassy and slightly cynical, the most urban of the group.
- Celisse – The female equivalent of the class clown. Goofy and a cut-up.